Site Information

 Loading... Please wait...

Blog

We don't think the hoover could be a danger to our kids, right?

Posted on

Wrong! 

Every parent knows toddlers can move fast, now one mum is warning about the dangers of allowing small children anywhere near vacuum cleaners.

Jade Bishop's 16-month-old boy suffered horrific burns when he put his thumb in the family vacuum cleaner.

Theo received fourth degree burns when he stuck his thumb in the bottom of her Dyson vacuum cleaner, while her back was turned. She posted the incident to her facebook account to warn of the danger. Her facebook post has now been shared nearly 10,000 times.

Despite feeling like the "world's worst mum", she wanted to share the incident with other parents to avoid others going through the same "traumatic ordeal".

"So I turn the vacuum (Dyson) off and turn my back to unplug it from the wall, I hear Theo turn it back on, turn my head to hear him screaming," she wrote.

"I yank the plug from the wall and he has managed to put his thumb in the bottom of the Dyson where the bristles spin at a crazy speed. I go to him quicker than I ever have to see he has a nasty burn on his hand."

She took him immediately to the hospital and was referred to a burns specialist. "They are talking about possibilities of skin grafts and surgery and nasty scarring with restricted movement as he grows," she said. "(He'll have) his burn cleaned and redressed every three days and a appointment with specialists weekly. Please, please, please do not let your children near vacuum cleaners!"

Jade said she had received a lot of positive support from her Facebook post and was hoping this doesn't happen to any other children. "I know it wasn't the company's fault and I understand they can't change their design, but just a warning in the booklet or sticker on the hoover could save so many accidents," she said.

"I would just love to make a positive situation out of a bad one. Making people aware of it could stop just one more tiny finger or thumb from ending up like this."

A Dyson spokesman said: "This is a heart-wrenching accident. Vacuum cleaners can be very tempting to little fingers but they are very powerful machines not to be toyed with. We hear Theo is doing better and hope he has a full recovery."

5 Surprising Safety Hazards

Most of us feel as though our homes are safe havens from the dangers of the outside world, but all too often it’s in our houses that children suffer accidental injuries that can cause serious harm or even death. Dishwashers The Danger: Dishwashers give children easy access to sharp knives and forks. Detergent can irritate your child's [...]

Read More »


Ikea recalls 29 million dressers after 3 children are killed

Ikea have recalled 29 million chests of drawers in the US after the deaths of 3 toddlers were linked with tip overs of furniture from the Swedish company.  The lightweight furniture does not pass industry stability tests and Ikea have urged parents to remove the affected dressers from rooms accessible to children.  The action follows increased scrutiny [...]

Read More »


Google’s New Search Engine For Kids Means a Safer Future when browsing the Internet

The recently launched “Kiddle” promises to keep kids safe in their internet searchingIf you’ve ever checked the search history of your kid’s tablet and found entries such as “boobs,” boy, the today we have great news for you! Google recently launched a kid-friendly search engine that promises to all but eliminate the possibility of your [...]

Read More »


​Baby and Toddler Safety in the Kitchen

Research by the HSE has found that accidental injury in the home is one of the biggest single causes of death in Ireland for children aged one and over. The stark reality is that more young children die each year as a result of accidents in the home than from illnesses such as Leukemia or Meningitis.At Babysafety.ie we are [...]

Read More »


5 Myths About Furniture Tip-Overs

Children love to climb and explore but how can you keep them safe in the home? Anchor and Protect! These three words are the key to effectively childproofing the furniture and TV’s in your home. The United States Consumer Product Safety Commission recently launched a campaign to educate and raise awareness of the dangers inherent in the home and [...]

Read More »


Top 10 Home Safety Products

Looking to protect your child in the safety of their own home? With household accidents one of the major reasons children under the age of 3 visit A & E, we’ve got ten of the most highly rated baby home safety products available now on Babysafety.ie to ensure the new year is a safe year! Protect your child [...]

Read More »


The Baby Proofing Guide You Can’t Be Without!

Childproofing your home is an investment in the safety and future protection of your children and here at Babysafety.ie it’s our business to guide you on that path to creating a safe and secure home for your little one to explore and play in. So at Babysafety.ie headquarters we put our heads together and have [...]

Read More »



Real Time Web Analytics